It’s always helpful to be able to travel light, especially on a business trip. One of the easiest ways to make this happen is to travel with a portable USB drive rather than a laptop. Today’s USB drives are tiny, and yet hold tons of data and lots of applications so that you can sit down at any computer and it’s just like working from your own computer.
With today’s sophisticated applications, you can do the work you need to do at someone else’s computer, and access and save all of your own information needed to do that work, without leaving behind any trace that you were there.
Following is a list of portable applications that are great for the USB drive. These 15 applications are sure to make it much easier for any engineer to leave home without lugging a laptop case.
Industrial engineering has changed so radically within the past two decades that the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) has been considering changing its name to something broader. The term “engineering” often connotes development of a process or production system; but, “industrial” has changed from manufacturing to service-based operations. This is why the following top 50 industrial engineering blogs contain writings about financial engineering, operations research and operations, project and supply-chain management, product lifecycle management (PLM), statistics, analytics and machine learning blogs. (more…)
Engineering is a varied and complex field. There are many disciplines and many different directions that engineering careers can take. If you’re interested in the engineering field, but not sure which direction is right for you, taking some open courseware classes can help you get a jump on your education and learn more about the field. Check out these 20 open courseware classes about engineering. They cover a wide range of engineering disciplines, as well as some courses that are relevant in any field of engineering. As you can see, these classes come from some of the best engineering schools in the country, including Berkeley and MIT.
From UC Berkeley
- Introduction to Digital Integrated Circuits: This electrical engineering course covers the basics on digital integrated circuitry, a must for electrical engineers.
- Introduction to Microelectronic Circuit: Another electrical engineering course, this class covers microelectronic circuits.
- Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering: Introduction to MEMS Design: Learn the basics of MEMS design for electrical or mechanical engineering. MEMS stands for microelectromechanical systems, the technology of very small mechanical devices driven by electricity. They are also referred to as micromachines or Microsystems technology.
- Introduction to Bioengineering: This course offered by the chemical engineering department at MIT focuses on bioengineering.
- Introduction to Numerical Analysis for Engineering: Though offered by the chemical engineering department, this course is suitable for any field of engineering.
- Introduction to Computers and Engineering Problem Solving: Designed for civil and environmental engineers, this course focuses on fundamental software development and computational methods for engineering.
- Circuits and Electronics: This is a basic course for electrical engineers. Circuits and electronics make up a large portion of what electrical engineering covers. This is a basic introduction to that concept.
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science: Explore the fields of electrical engineering and computer science in this course. This is a great course for exploring whether either of these two closely related fields are ones you’re interested in pursuing further.
- Engineering Ethics: Explore ethical situations in the engineering field.
- How and Why Machines Work: This course is designed for those interested in mechanical engineering, one of the most versatile engineering fields.
- Exploring Sea, Space and Earth: Fundamentals of Engineering Design: Covers exploration design products for mechanical engineering.
- Management in Engineering: This course is offered by the nuclear engineering department but is suited to engineers of any field. The course covers project planning, financial principles and other topics related to engineering management.
- Introduction to Modeling and Simulation: This course covers computer modeling and simulation in science and engineering.
- Introduction to Ionizing Radiation: A basic course from the nuclear engineering department. Nuclear engineers are currently some of the most sought after in the job market.
- Introduction to Applied Nuclear Physics: Learn the basic concepts of nuclear physics.
From UC Irvine
- How Predictable is the Climate System: Another field of engineering that is growing rapidly is environmental engineering. This course, designed for environmental engineers, studies the climate system.
From Utah State
- Biochemical Engineering: This course covers biochemical processes, thermodynamics and kinetics.
- Uncertainty in Engineering Analysis: Aimed at civil and environmental engineers, this course focuses on probability and statistics as used in engineering.
- The Science of Sound: This course is aimed at electrical engineers covers eight different aspects of sound.
- Numerical Methods in Civil Engineering: This course for civil engineers covers approximation and interpolation for engineering.
As you can see, there are many engineering courses in many different disciplines of engineering available online. This is only a sampling of the courses you can find. Once you’ve narrowed down the field of engineering you want to pursue, you can explore even more specific topics related to that field through these same universities.
This list of largest buildings as provided over here is estimated on the basis of usable space and floor area. The term “building” as referred here is known for single structures that are fit for human occupancy and usage. Below is provided the list of largest Buildings of the World.
- Dubai International Airport Terminal 3, UAE: With floor area of approximately, 1500,000 meter square is the single largest building in the world with perspective of floor areas. The $4.5 billion terminal became operational from October 14, 2008 has around 82 moving walkways, 97 escalators, 8 sky-trains, 157 lifts, 180 check-in counters, 2,600 car-parking spaces, 52 immigration counters, 14 baggage carousels and 12 e-gates. (Electronic Passport Control System used at all entry point into the United Arab Emirates) not to mention first and business class lounges, restaurants and a 10,700 sq m (115,000 sq ft) of shopping facilities.
- Aalsmeer Flower Auction, Netherlands: With Floor Area of around 990,000 meter square it is the largest flower auction in the world and situated is housed in Aaalsmeer Flower Auction, the second largest building in the world. At the flower auction, flowers from around the world are traded inside this humongous Dutch facility. Aalsmeer sometime is referred as the flower capital of the world.
- Beijing Capital International Airport Terminal 3, China: With Floor Area of around 986,000 meter square TheBeijing Capital International Airport is the 8th busiest airport in the world. It is ranked as the busiest airport when terminal 3 added to it. Presently, it is the second largest airport terminal after Dubai International Airport’s Terminal 3.
- The Venetian, China: With Floor Area of around 980,000 square meters, it is a 40 story, $2.4 billion luxury hotel and casino resort in Macau, China with an ownership by the Las Vegas Sands Corporation. It is the biggest only single structure hotel building in Asia and the fourth largest building in the world by floor area. It has around 3000 suites, 3400 slot machines, 800 gambling tables and 15,000-seat arena for entertainment or sports events.
- Berjaya Times Square, Malaysia: With Floor Area of around 700,000 meter square, Berjaya Times Square is a mega-scale multi-purpose complex having shopping center, two five star hotels, Asia’s largest indoor theme park, residences, offices among others. It is the biggest and the 9th tallest building in Malaysia, the 5th largest building in the world by floor area and the 13th biggest shopping mall.
- The Palazzo, USA: With Floor Area of around 645,581 meter square it is an AAA-5 diamond luxury hotel and casino resort that is an extension of The Venetian Casino Resort and the Sands Expo complex in the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. This $1.8 billion resort inaugurated on January 17, 2008 featuring 3,068 all-suite rooms and 375 concierge-level suites.
- The Pentagon, USA: With Floor area of around 610, 000 meter square, The Pentagon is the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense is the world’s largest office building by floor area. The building houses nearly 23,000 military and civilian employees and about 3,000 non defense support personnel. The entire building includes five acre (20,000 square meters) central plaza that formally known to be the ground zero.
Engineering is one of the noblest professions on the Earth and is involved in activities of modern life. Below is a brief of 10 great engineers of present age without whom inventions it is difficult to imagine modern life. Their passion has changed entire human civilization.
- James Watt: His improvement on steam engine begun a new industrial revolution and during the periods of 1760s he devoted most of his time in improving efficiency of steam engine. And his improvements become so much popular that people started describing him as inventor of steam engine. His mechanical advances earned him reputation and patents as his engines were used for coal mining, textile manufacturing, transportation and lots of other industrial uses.
- Hero of Alexandria: He is known for discovering a form of steam or jet engine where jets of steam spin a ball as earlier as in 50 AD as named during that time Aeolipile. But he was ignored of what his device can achieve and think of that merely as a toy. He also wrote many works on topics as related to pneumatics to mathematics to physics.
- Wilbur and Orville Wright: Wilbur and Orville better known as Wright Brothers made it to be a practical reality to fly in the Sky. After experimenting several times with kites and gliders they alerted the shape of the wing in mid flight by decreasing and increasing the speeds. Wright brother also introduced propeller design and aerodynamics into the flight.
- Henry Ford: He developed better method to develop a car as to be possessed by every common man. In car manufacturing, he brings about four principles of interchangeable parts, continuous flow, division of labor and reducing wasted efforts. In 1913, he came up with first ever moving assembly line used for large scale car manufacturing.
- Thomas Edison: He has recognition of been one of the most admiring inventors of human civilization. He has as far as 1069 patents to his name including light bulb, stock ticker, motion picture camera and projector, and hundreds and many more. It is merely dream to think about modern life without his inventions.
- Leonardo da Vinci: He is considered as one of the most prominent visionary and scientist of civilization. He predicted the evolution of every big scientific invention of present time from the tank to submarine centuries ago. Many of his designs like bridges, hang-gliders, transmissions, parachutes, and more according to modern engineers were quite realistic and practical.
- Alan Turing: He is known for his contribution to computing that has made use of computers very easy and practical. He developed binary architecture that presently is used every computer and is real theory about behind every computers. For his contribution to computing he is known as father of computer.
- Nicolaus Otto: He was a German inventor who developed the four-stroke or Otto cycle engine that gave birth to the concept of motor care. His Otto cycle engine works in four steps drawing in fuel and air, compressing the mixture, igniting it and expelling the exhaust.
- Nikola Tesla: For his inventions he is known as the greatest of all electrical engineers. His inventions include fluorescent lighting, the Tesla coil, the induction motor, and 3-phase electricity. He developed the AC-current generation system comprised of a motor and a transformer.
- Archimedes: Archimedes came up with the simple yet wise idea of estimating an object’s volume by measuring the amount of water displaced by the object. He also invented the catapult, levers and pulleys, and the Archimedean screw, equipment that is used for pulling up water for irrigation and mining.
An online Master of Engineering seeks to put engineers on a competitive edge in the industry by furnishing them with the current trends in the field as well as equipping them with management skills necessary for climbing the career ladder. The programs caters for engineers from diverse specialties such as software and computer hardware development, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, manufacturing, aerospace engineering, just to mention a few.
The program is usually tailored as a professional practice program incorporating practical tools and strategies in the increasingly competitive engineering marketplace. Students are also equipped with a unique blend of both technical and managerial knowledge so that they can easily advance as leaders engineering projects. Most of these programs however require students to have substantial hands on experience as they are not meant to introduce them to new engineering tactics but to augment their experience with learned management skills.
An online Master of Engineering is better career decision than taking an MBA because of proved reasons. A survey conducted in the some of the universities offering the course indicated the employability of the graduates far outweighed that of MBA’s. A Promotion or significant salary increase was inevitable at graduation. This therefore underscores the important of seeking admission in an accredited institution in order to increase the chances of employability as well as salary increment.
The online Master of Engineering is entirely competed online just as the name suggests, only with exception of exams in some universities where they have to be done synchronously. The program is exclusively based on coursework, without any departmental affiliation, thesis or project. Students are required to have relevant undergraduate education in engineering for them to be admitted into the program.
The benefits of the Online Master of Engineering is that even students residing in the remote areas in the nation are able to access education from some of the best universities in cities like Chicago and New York. Engineers in both small and medium-sized industries also get an opportunity to upgrade and join the league of bug players. Employer’s needs continue to increase and the program is one way of responding to such needs by providing engineers with cutting edge information as well as being given the opportunity to diversify into various specializations.
Majority of these online programs from various online colleges and universities are delivered using a wide array of online as well as distance learning technologies thus allowing students to easily study from home or work. Flexibility is thus put at the core of learning to ensure that a student does not miss out on their daily responsibilities. It is important though to note that admission information varies though and therefore one needs to dig deeper into the details of each program.